Friday, June 11, 2010

European Eats: Vieille Ville Market

After three weeks of traveling around Europe, I am finally back at home.

Of course, when I got home, I had a long list of things I had to plow through: sister's high school graduation, start my new internship at Missouri Life magazine and move into my new apartment. Now that everything is finished and my kitchen is unpacked, I've started thinking of all of the summer cooking and baking projects I'm going to try and accomplish.

I was immensely inspired by my travels through Italy, Greece, Turkey and France. While sitting down to dinner for two hours every night got a little old near day 19, it was a refreshing break from my every day life. Food is an event there. It is not treated as a ten-minute break for a brief energy source. It is treated as a social gathering -- a chance to sit down, reconnect with your family and friends and most importantly, become connected to what nature has to offer us for the replenishment and renewal our bodies (all the while slowly moving your belt buckle back a couple of notches).

For the next couple of weeks, I will focus on what inspired me most while I was there, and then later this summer I will try to incorporate those things into my daily life. One thing that I've already tried to make a part of my life is the farmers market. While Columbia has an impressive market (seriously, they have Goatsbeard Farm there. Nuff said.), we stumbled upon an absolutely beautiful market in Cannes.

We were walking through the Vieille Ville (Old City) before making our way to the Cannes Film Festival, and we just happened to turn the corner of a small street and see this market. The food was vibrant and looked like actual works of art. I could have stayed there all day. Unfortunately, I couldn't, so instead I took a lot of pictures to remind me what food could actually be.












No comments:

Post a Comment