Monday, August 10, 2009

My Heart Belongs to the Pear Tree



While I love local Columbia restaurants (don't get me started on Sycamore), nothing can beat the Pear Tree in Bevier, MO. Even though it's about an hour away, I am more than willing to take the time to drive there. Even better if someone else is paying, which Jim's parents did this past Saturday (thanks!).

Jim took me there the first summer we were dating after going on and on about how amazing the food was. "You have to eat the onion rings. You haven't had onion rings until you've eaten at the Pear Tree," he would tell me. Needless to say, I was more than excited to try the onion rings, which were heaven. The batter is perfectly crisp - not soggy at all. Usually, I use ketchup when I eat onion rings, but there was so much onion flavor that I didn't even need it.

I'm a big steak girl. I couldn't be vegetarian if I tried because a good, medium steak can make my heart sing like nobody's business. So, unsurprisingly, I got the 6 oz. filet mignon the first time I went. It was probably the best decision I've ever made in my life, it was THAT good. The beef tasted unlike any other I've tasted. It was tender, perfectly juicy, and well-seasoned. When we went last Saturday, I got the same thing. It was still just as wonderful.

I like to pride myself on being somewhat of a cheesecake conoisseur. It is my favorite dessert. Lucky for me, then, that the Pear Tree makes their cheesecake in-house. While it isn't my top choice for cheesecake, it's pretty high up there. The cake itself is creamy and not too sweet so when you eat it with fruit toppings like strawberries it isn't over-the-top sweet.

The Pear Tree also specializes in batter-dipped lobster tail, which Jim raves about constantly, and prime rib. Other items on the menu include grilled pork chops, broiled Alaskan salmon in butter sauce and golden fried chicken. They also serve homemade ice cream, which can be served as is or in a very yummy after-dinner drink.

If you're looking for traditional American fare with above quality ingredients, try Pear Tree. It may be pricier (an entree runs anywhere from $17 for fried chicken to $43 for the lobster tail with steak) than other restaurants, but it is totally worth it for a special dinner. The ambiance is just as nice, with dim lighting and waiters and waitresses wearing white button-up shirts and black bow ties.

Visit http://thepeartreerestaurant.com/ for a full menu and contact information.

No comments:

Post a Comment