Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Hit the Cookbooks: Mustard Roasted Fish

In an effort to expand my culinary knowledge and skill, I'm going to try and use cookbooks for some of my recipes to try new ingredients and techniques. Nothing like having food splotches all over the pages of a recipe book to make you feel like a real cook!

I recently decided I was going to try fish to test whether or not I still hate it. I chose to find a recipe from Ina Garten's Back to Basics, which has beautifully simple and refined recipes anyone can cook. I hoped her recipe would be so exquisite I wouldn't even notice that it was fish I was eating.

I've never really liked seafood. I can't stand the fishy smell or taste. However, I love fried fish. Catfish, walleye, small-mouth bass - really anything with mild fish flavor and tons of fried breading. My friends and family affectionately tell me I like "pond food." I would take more offense, but pond food is delicious.

This time though, I skipped the breading. Although it took me a while to actually put the bite of fish in my mouth when I sat down to eat, it wasn't too bad. The sauce was great and helped cut through any unwanted fish flavor. It was creamy but not too heavy, which complemented the fish well.

I changed the recipe to accomodate the fact that I can't afford some of the stuff she uses. I also served this fish with parmesan roasted potatoes, and the combination was pretty good.

Hopefully I'll be getting a digital camera soon so I can take better pictures of the food I make. Until then, my built-in computer camera will have to do!

Roasted Fish with Mustard Cream Sauce
4 fish fillets (I used tilapia, but you could really use anything light)
1/4 c. sour cream
1/4 c. heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon course ground mustard
1/4 c. minced onion

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and place the fish fillets in the pan. Salt and pepper the fillets well.

Whip the heavy whipping cream until it starts to look like whipped cream. Fold in the sour cream. Add both mustards and the onion. Spoon the sauce over the fish fillets, covering completely. Bake the fish 10 minutes or until the center starts to flake easily.

Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
8-10 small red potatoes, quartered
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Italian seasoning
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Toss the potatoes with olive oil until all pieces are coated. Season with as much Italian seasoning and salt and pepper as you like. Add the Parmesan cheese.

Spread evenly on a cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until potato pieces are tender. Half-way through cooking, toss the potatoes around to make sure the potatoes don't stick.

2 comments:

  1. i'm with you... i really don't like fish. i'd love to tell you i'll try the recipe, but due to the fact that it's fish, i won't.

    i WILL be making the parmesan potatoes, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No big. I tried it, it was good enough to not spit out and be dramatic, but I probably won't make fish for a while. The potatoes were awesome though.

    ReplyDelete