Thursday, June 11, 2009

Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human

From Lauren:

I was reading the New York Times Food and Wine section at work today--yes, I know, but I was bored. Anyway, there was a post on their Bitten Blog about Richard Wranham's book, Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human. Wrangham's book suggests that cooking, and not anything else, separates us from animals.

Wrangham writes that cooking influenced our evolutionary progress and development in many ways. Most importantly, our ability to obtain and conserve more energy from cooked food than uncooked food led to a change in our physical bodies and mental capacity. Stomachs took less energy to process the food, leaving our brain open to receiving the excess energy and attention. It also promoted more refined social practices. The act of cooking food brought people around a fire, and this simple act of gathering could have calmed the nature and disposition of humans.

While I have yet to read the book, I know I will probably love it. He dismisses vegetarianism and the raw food diet, which I always love because I think both food movements can be harmful and don't make much sense.

The review brought up a lot of other interesting and valid points as well. One, for example, was especially striking to me. Wrangham suggests that the emergence of cooking started gender roles because females needed protection from being exploited as cooks while men did the hunting. Can't wait to read more on that.

Wrangham is a primatologist and biological anthropology professor at Harvard. Most markedly, he studied under Jane Goodall and wrote another fascinating book, Demonic Males: Apes and the Origin of Human Violence. It too, is now on my list of books to read. He writes with such a conversational and personable tone that it's hard not to love it. And I've only read excerpts!

So, I'm going to go buy this book. Hopefully within the next week or so because I really cannot wait to start reading. As I read, I'll write about the book and my comments.
Note: The picture of Wrangham was published in NYT's Bitten Blog and was taken by Rick Friedman.

Sidenote: The 63 Diner is now open again. We went last night, and it was delicious. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, biscuit, and vanilla milkshake. Perfect for a date night...except for the grease dribbling down my chin. I don't think Jim minded though!

No comments:

Post a Comment